Round 2
Wrap Up

Arise Racing

Round two of the WA F1000 state championship was held on Sunday the 17th of June. With nearly a three month break after round one, and plenty of testing during the break, everyone was really pumped to get their race faces on for round two.

Joining our season racers, there were a few new faces on the grid. Michael Epple made his return to open wheel racing after a few years away from racing and nine years away from open wheel racing. We had a very talented young open wheel ace, Tayla Dicker, join us for her first run in a wings and slicks category after a few years in Formula Ford. Managing only a wet test session prior to the event it was a big ask to go straight out into a dry qualifying session.

After a few wet days in the lead up, Qualifying saw the team roll out onto a dry and sunny track. Aaron Love showed his increasing form coupling his national Formula 4 program with an Arise F1000 program taking 2nd place by only hundredths, with one of our coaches, and manager, Jordan Oon in 3rd and our head coach BD Soutar-Dawson in 4th. The next pack was hotly contested, on Debut Michael Epple used his new tyres to good advantage taking 5th in front of 2018 rookie Henry Lake, Adam Lisle and Tayla Dicker, with Mike Folwell closely behind.

Race 1 was again sunny and dry and the race got underway with some serious intensity. Jordan made a move for the lead with BD close behind, going 3 wide into turn one. Behind was a great battle for position straight away. At the end of the first lap it was Oon in the lead, followed by Ben Riley, Aaron Love and then BD. The battle raged right down the order and once Aaron and BD cleared Ben they set out after Jordan with a good fight with the top three staying in that order. Close behind was a great battle between Michael Epple, Tayla Dicker and Henry Lake, racing hard for the whole distance and finishing with only 8 tenths between the 3 cars across the line, Mike Folwell bettered his qualifying time and came home in 8th. Unfortunately Adam Lisle had an electrical fault and his race ended early.

Race 2 was shaping up for a similar fray. Aaron Love had a great start, taking the outside line on Jordan and leading from lights to flag. A battle then raged for second place with BD throwing some moves at Jordan all the while having to fend off a charging Michael Epple who was settling into his first race in an F1000 nicely and putting the pressure on big time. After all the dicing the positions remained in this order across the line. Henry and Tayla had a similar battle for the entire race with Henry this time coming out on top in 5th, in front of Tayla. Adam Lisle had a good recovery after a race 1 DNF for 8th, with Mike following him home in 9th.

Race 3 was going to be a bit of a tyre battle. With some of the competitors on round 1 tyres, some on new and our two coaches on well used tyres. Aaron again had a great start and put his head down to get a gap from the line. Michael also managed to get one up on BD in the first corner, this time becoming the meat in the coaches sandwich trying to put the pressure on Jordan for second place all the while fending off the pressure from BD behind in 4th. Again after a race long battle they finished in this order. Tayla fought hard with Henry and came out on top of this round long battle with Henry pushing her right to the line. Adam Lisle had an amazing start jumping straight to P5 for the early stages before a minor spin dropped him down the order, recovering for 9th. Mike Folwell had a good race chasing down the pack and finished in 7th.

The round honours went to Aaron love, Jordan Oon taking 2nd and BD Soutar-Dawson taking 3rd.

Mike Folwell took out the line honours in the newly formed Masters class.
Well done to all of our drivers especially to our two drivers having their debut in Michael and Tayla, finishing 4th and 5th outright for the day. Only 3 weeks turn around before the next round kicks off on the 8th of July.